} -->

Tuesday 13 September 2011

Fifty Shades of Grey - E. L James



When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time.

The unworldly, innocent Ana is shocked to realize she wants this man, and when he warns her to keep her distance it only makes her more desperate to get close to him. Unable to resist Ana’s quiet beauty, wit, and independent spirit, Grey admits he wants her - but on his own terms.
Shocked yet thrilled by Grey's singular erotic tastes, Ana hesitates. For all the trappings of success – his multinational businesses, his vast wealth, his loving adoptive family – Grey is man tormented by demons and consumed by the need to control. When the couple embarks on a passionate, physical and daring affair, Ana learns more about her own dark desires, as well as the Christian Grey hidden away from public scrutiny.
Can their relationship transcend physical passion? Will Ana find it in herself to submit to the self-indulgent Master? And if she does, will she still love what she finds?



Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades, #1)
I have to start by saying that I have a mantra that I only allow myself to fall head over heals in love with one author per year. And as far as I was concerned I had given my heart away many moons ago. Until now, until Fifty Shades of Grey, until E.L James stepped into my radar and I was recommended this book from another awesome blogger (Laurie, you know you’re the bomb). Now, my heart is breaking in two because this book was hands down, the best book I have read this year to date – YES I SAID IT! BEST BOOK THIS YEAR! And I feel my heart being swept away by Ms. James at a rate of knots.I sit here and I know that no matter what I write, I will in no way give this book any justice. The writing style is very familiar with another author, who’s feet I also grovel. It’s very, blunt, forthcoming, emotional and heart felt.
Ana, our heroine in an innocent in every sense of the word. She is just starting her life. But when she decides to help out her best friend by doing an interview of the renowned, Christian Grey, her whole world is turned upside down. There is an instant connection and between the two they share a rollercoaster journey of ups and downs and firsts.
Ana, I loved her character. I felt I could very much connect with her. She had so many doubts, fears and emotions but in the same hand, a very tough woman. She stood her ground when she needed to and for that I respect her greatly.
Christian, well quite simple, I want Christian all to myself. I want to bundle him up and sooth away his pains. He is a beautifully wounded soul. And when he declares ‘I’m fifty shades of fucked up’- I just wanted to cry. There is so much to Christian that we don’t get to see in this book but I know we are heading towards it in the next novel. He is intense, the sex is intense and the book is just freaking awesome, epic, astounding.
I am not usually one for BDSM and this book does go there. I was forewarned, but with such high recommendations I could not turn away. This book touches BMSM in a way that I have never read before. It felt more real and it captivated me. We got to explore what was involved in the world of BDSM but wasn’t exposed to it per-say. It was done to perfection.
The book is written in POV. I don’t mind this style of writing, but some people may. It did frustrate me to not know what was going on inside Christian Greys mind, but I think in retrospect this is what made the book so good and Christian so alluring. He was dark, mysterious and had secrets and it made me want him, oh so much more.
The ending – Im still shaking!! It is the cliff hanger of cliff hangers! But calm your nerves. The next book is released 15th September. I am awaiting this book on my last nerve.
Ive said it before, I will say it again – “BEST.BOOK.OF.THE.YEAR




4 comments:

Elena said...

Wow! Just wow!! I haven't read a review like this by you in a while. I'm quivering in my shoes. I want my copy and wanna read it asap.

What a fantastic review!

Sam S2 said...

LOL! Im 80% into the second novel and Im hooked! I had to stop do book work, so Im not happy!

_yay_ said...

I'm so glad you liked the book! I was raving on and on about it, then Laurie picked it up (and thankfully semmed to love it just as much) and now your fantastic review! Yay!
#teamfiftyshades ;-)
I have a review up for book 2 - Fifty Shades Darker. I promise you'll be really happy with this one, too!
Best
_yay_ @ BookthatThing

Unknown said...

Yes, Yes!!! to everything you said, I loved the books too.
Read them (audio sucked) in 4 days, I didn't come out for air until I finished all the books.
OH how I wish they would recast the audio cuz I'm definitely will revisit soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...