} -->

Saturday 1 October 2011

Darkest Surrender (LOTU #8) - Gena Showalter

  

(ISBN13:9780373775811)
primary language:English
original title:The Darkest Surrender
 
Possessed by the demon of Defeat, Strider cannot lose a challenge without suffering unimaginable pain. For him, nothing stands in the way of victory. Until Kaia, an enchanting Harpy, tempts him to the razor's edge of surrender.Known among her people as The Disappointment, Kaia must bring home the gold in the Harpy Games or die. Strider is a distraction she can't afford because he has an agenda of his own-steal first prize, an ancient godly artifact, before the winner can be named. But as the competition heats up, only one prize will matter-the love neither had thought possible.







Darkest Surrender was written for me.  I’m sure of it.  There was awesome written all over the pages of this book, let’s take a look at the facts:

My goodreads name: Sam (I’m made of awesomness). 
My Blogs name: Sam E and R’s Awesomness.

Facts are facts peeps. This book was made for me.

I have been lucky to have read a good string of books lately, but they have all been intense books. This was the first book I have read in ages where I have actually  laughed out loud, spit my drink out kinda funny. The dialogue was brilliant and perfectly matched Strider and Kaia.

This story took place away from the Lords home in Budapest and was set around the Harpy Games. It was great to read a Lords book that wasn’t so focused on Hunters, but at the same time I missed alot of the other Lords. 

Showalter places of snippets into what Paris is up to, obviously leading to his book which is next on the LOTU list. We also get to read about my second favourite character in the series, William, sadly, no interaction with him and Gilly in this one. But the pot is set to simmer on those two. It’s going to be epic when it finally boils over.

The characters are just to die for! Kaia is my official new favourite heroine. This Harpy was everything I want to be. She was hot, she was fiery, she was temperamental, she could kick arse like no other and best of all, she knew she wanted Stridey- Monster and she went after it!

Strider *sigh*. Scrap the list of who I would turn Lesbian for, because this man has stolen my heart. I love his character and his cockiness that goes with it. His constant ego checks were hilarious! The bantering between the two still has me smiling. They were perfect for each other.

Showalter after all these books, which can sometimes lead to the death of a series, is still managing to pull it off somehow. Each book seems to get better and better that I can only imagine how good Paris’s book will be.

Countdown begins!

Favorite lines from the book:

"thats because I'm made of awesome."

 "And dipped in awesome." 

" Gods, I love the taste of awesome."





Where to begin, where to begin.......Is it just me, or is this series becoming better, hotter, and so addicting?! Holy Smokes! I've waiting so long for Strider's novel; little did I know it came with a bonus. Kaia! What other person could challenge Strider and mean it? Looks like Mr. King of the freaking world, now has his own personnel sidekick. Strider and Kaia are made for each other. AWESOME! Defeat and Harpy, no way denying them.

Let the games begin!

In all honesty, did Strider really think he could keep pushing Kaia away? NOT! What a fool! The heavy attraction is there. Kaia giving up on Strider is the best thing she ever did, although it her hurt immensely. Strider comes to his senses, eventually. For instance, he didn't have the heart and couldn't face Kaia getting hurt in any way. (Harpies are dirty little fighters) So, Hmmm... Strider as Kaia's consort? You damn straight he is! I wouldn't have it any other way *wiggles eyebrows*

It all began with the Harpy Games!

Set up or no setup, I loved this part of the story. It was wickedly awesome! I didn't like as much to the "why?" of how Kaia and her harpy sisters were invited, just because I knew people I love in this story were bound to get hurt. BUT! They're all strong in their own way. No one gives up without a good dirty fight! Suck on that sour lemon Juliette! Juliette is just one of those in a bunch that thinks she's the shite and in control of everyone. NOT! She's a Stinky Harpy and a total Byotch! She's the one who sets everything up to make sure Kaia doesn't win the prize and doesn't make it out alive. Well shite, they underestimated Kaia. Juliette has gotta big badass harpy willing to give her a run for her money. Kaia is the bomb diggity with her awesome skills. Well there's a whole story behind Juliette and Kaia's past,it ain't pretty but, the past is the past. And Kaia's not the total blame for it, well that's my opinion.

When Strider decides to become Kaia's consort, he didn't know what the prize was and now that he knows, he'll do whatever it takes to steal it. What's that prize? It's the fourth artifact. The one needed to help the Lords of the Underworld find and destroy Pandora's Box. If the Lords don't claim the Paring Rod, anyone would have the power to wipe the Lords out forever from existence. Now isn't that a load of WTH? Hells Yes! I couldn't believe it myself. My only reaction was " the pressure is on". Kaia refuses to steal it, she wants to win it the right way by winning the competition and making a name for herself rather than the Harpies naming her "Kaia the disappointment" This badass Harpy makes all the Harpies lick the floor they walk on with her witty self. That even included Kaia's mother. I still can't stand the woman, no matter what her motives were they were condescending! Bleh! She makes me sick, that is a disgrace to anyone who is a mother.

I loved the plot of the story, Strider and Kaia's HEA was phenomenal, sparks flew off the pages with this couple. Challenging one another was a given, it's who they are and I loved it! I didn't expect to get more intel on all her sisters and their relationships, so that was really nice to read on, it gave me more insight and I'm now a total Harpy Fanatic! I want wings and be a part of their clan :D

Now as for Kane, William and Paris's par take in this story is intriguing. I'm just wondering what could possibly come next. There's so much going on I can't see where Gena Showalter is taking this series. I'm just hoping for the best and crossing my fingers for Paris. The man is gonna be the death of me with his wallowing! All my answers will be answered soon enough and as usual I can not wait for the next novel!

Btw! Strider's "Ego Checking" was downright hilarious! It reminded me more and more why I love that man. Example: "Pants down" was a good look for him. A really good look. Ego check! ...... Lolz! Love it!




2 comments:

AngelaC said...

LMAO. Definitely written just for you!
Had to stop reading though but will be back when I've read the book.

Megan@Riverina Romantics said...

AWESOME BOOK!!!! This is now my favorite book in the series!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...