} -->

Tuesday 4 October 2011

Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires #4) - Chloe Neill


Times are hard for newly minted vampire Merit. Ever since shapeshifters announced their presence to the world, humans have been rallying against supernaturals--and they're camping outside of Cadogan House with protest signs that could turn to pitchforks at any moment. Inside its doors, things between Merit and her Master, green-eyed heartbreaker Ethan Sullivan are ... tense. But then the mayor of Chicago calls Merit and Ethan to a clandestine meeting and tells them about a violent vamp attack that has left three women missing. His message is simple: get your House in order. Or else.

Merit needs to get to the bottom of this crime, but it doesn't help that she can't tell who's on her side. So she secretly calls in a favor from someone who's tall, dark, and part of underground vamp group that may have some deep intel on the attack. Merit soon finds herself in the heady, dark heart of Chicago's supernatural society--a world full of vampires who seem too ready to fulfill the protesting human's worst fears, and a place where she'll learn that you can't be a vampire without getting a little blood on your hands..



Hard Bitten (Chicagoland Vampires, #4)In the previous book "Twice Bitten" The Cardogen House, goes through a rough patch and now the humans of Chicago know all about the paranormal beings that live in their city, from Shape-Shifters to Vampires. Which, little do they know there are more paranormal species out there, whom are not willing to show their existence to the human world yet. That being said, the humans aren't thrilled to be living amongst Vampires. They make their presence known in this book, the humans won't tolerate having vampires in their city, they think parking their rear-ends in front of the Cardogen house to protest that somehow the Vampires will leave the city and vanish. Ahhh...No way Jose', these people are straight loonies if you ask me! Vampires will be around way after the humans have expired. So they can just dream on.

As for Ethan and Merits relationship. Ethan spent the last two months regretting his decision and trying to make amends, after their terrible breakup on how the two of them being together was a no-go, he didn't wanna take the emotional risk of their relationship putting their House at risk. Ethan  being the Master of Cadogen House and Merit being the Sentinel of the Cardogen house, basically mixing business and pleasure he found was a bit too risky he couldn't afford.Now he wishes he could take it all back, swoon Merit and win her again, now realizing that Merit is his everything. Well, there's definitely plenty of swooning but Merit isn't falling for it. Their hearts are in the right place, but is it enough? On that note I'm not going into details since I have many sketchy thoughts on "Why the situation escalated the way it did and ended" Nuff Said!

Well someone’s on the patrol of selling a certain drug for Vampires, it weakened their inhibitions toward violence and gave then the incredibility what they were doing was right and no one can stop them from causing mayhem.(The Hulk, kinda adrenaline) In the meantime the Mayor of city doesn't like all the publicity between the Vampires and Humans.( Or so he said) So his easy way out of the situation is to blame the Cardogen House, he basically blackmails Ethan, that if no one takes control of the situation and finds out what's really going on, he was holding Ethan responsible for all the mayhem and sending a warrant for his arrest. This is a LOAD OF CRAP! I'm not sure how I read this entire book without falling apart. *Sighs*

My thoughts on this book?

I'm completely baffled the way the novel ended. I wanted to sneer some curse words and burn the book. My reactions were "Why?!?!, Seriously?, WTF?,Really?,I'm confused!, *Wants to pull hair* How?!, What happened? *Agitated,Cries from frustration* Broken hearted! Do readers deserve this treatment? It's tormenting, uncalled for. Cliff-hangers are one thing, but omitting one of my favorite characters?!?!?  I'm trying to stay sane here. It's very difficult!

I’m upset and lost for words. Emotionally Distraught is more like it. Accepting the fact that I knew what I was getting into when reading this book, the unexpected made me miserable beyond measures. I'm afraid to look forward to the next book in the series *Sobs* I feel hurt and betrayed.

My up most favorite quote, from Ethan to Merit; 

"You can run. You can keep running to the ends of the earth. But I won't be far behind you"

My Goodness! That quote shatters me; I have fallen into tears once again. *Sighs


3 of 5 stars





4 comments:

Book Savvy Babe said...

I know this book was a tough read, but Chloe Neill is an amazing writer and I'm believing she will pull through, that's also why I CANT WAIT for Drink Deep... Book Savvy Babe

Sebella Blue said...

I'm on the fence, cuz I'm an instant gratification type of girl. Hmmmm. Great review, it made me think.

Elena said...

Thanks Ladies! My feelings are still twisted after this novel. I hope "Drink Deep" will have a good comeback. I'm just not sure how much more heartach a reader can take. Ugh!

Let's hope for the best! *crosses fingers*

Tyraa said...

Great review, I hope it gets better for you in the next book.

Do you think this could be read as a stand alone? I'm over due to review it but don't know if I should start at the beginning!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...