} -->

Saturday 12 May 2012

Defiant (#3) By Pamela Clare

Charged with a crime they didn’t commit, the MacKinnon brothers faced a death sentence until they agreed to serve the British Crown in the Colonies and take up arms against the French. Allied with the Indian tribes who lived beside them in the wilderness, the Scottish Highland warriors forged a new breed of soldier…

MacKinnon’s Rangers


Major Connor MacKinnon despises his commander, Lord William Wentworth, beyond all other men. Ordered to rescue Wentworth’s niece after the Shawnee take her captive, he expects Lady Sarah Woodville to be every bit as arrogant and contemptible as her uncle. Instead, he finds a brave and beautiful lass in desperate peril. But the only way to free Sarah is for Connor to defeat the Shawnee warrior who kidnapped her—and claim her himself.

Torn by tragedy from her sheltered life in London, Lady Sarah is unprepared for the harshness of the frontier—or for the attraction she feels toward Connor as he guides her first through the consummation of their forced union and then through the dangers of the wilderness. When they reach civilization, however, it is she who must protect him. For if her uncle knew all that Connor had done to save her, he would surely kill him.

But the flames of passion, once kindled, are difficult to deny. As desire transforms into love, Connor will have to defy an empire to keep Sarah at his side.




First I have to say, when I saw the email come through for Defiant from my old pal, Pamela asking if we wanted to read an early copy of Defiant, I got a little jumpy. But when I got the actual book, well I was like a teenage fan girl who had just scored front row tickets to see One Direction in concert! I was ecstatic, and after reading the book my eagerness was not wasted at all.

Defiant is the lucky third book in the sexy MacKinnon’s Rangers series. This is the story of the youngest MacKinnon, Connor and beautiful Sarah’s journey to find love through all the trials and tribulations that one would ever have to face in a life time. Together the pair overcome (takes deep breath) Indians, kidnappings, murder, nasty rumours, dipshit family members, fear, anger, betrayal and personal issues. This is just such a powerful and emotional story that touched your heart. Hands down, the best story in the series.

Now watch out people because I'm about to go all goo goo eyes on this book and praise it to high heavens!

First lets start with the sexy Scot on the cover. If this is Connor, then let me jump on board – be the damsel in distress because this man is built! In fact the cover just skim the surface of this book and its all out perfectness. Pamela’s writing was funny, irresistible, smooth, pulled at your heart strings, romantic and just me writing all these adjectives makes me think I'm depriving you from starting to read this book and seeing for yourself the awesomeness’ that is Pamela Clare! I haven’t read a book as fast as I read Defiant in a good 6 months. This was the first book I haven’t been able to put down and it was so hard to stop turning page after page after....

The interaction with the Connor and Sarah was perfectly fit for the genre and heart fluttery romantic at times but underneath all that was the constant seriousness of what was going on around them. Pamela Clare was able to maintain the perfect amount of distress, anger and romance throughout the whole story tying in perfectly with Sarah and Connors personal demons that both had to face. I would have given anything at numerous times throughout the book to jump right in and be the one to save Connor from another whipping or save Sarah from being locked in her uncle’s room for one more day. But no matter what, both characters were perfect and I would not change anything about them in any way.

These three MacKinnon brother are hard not to love. They are loyal to boot. Their passion and family roots run deep in their blood and have an honor that always seeing them do the right thing – even if I feel like telling them to stick their obligations. They love their women with a fierceness that isn’t seen in this day and age and if I could imagine up just a smidgen of these men in to reality then Zac Efron would be out on his arse in no time.

I love alot of the quotes from the book:

“Dinnae be laughin’ at me. They went for my cods, so they did! I had to thrust them away, else they’d have plucked me bare there, too. I willna submit my bollocks to such abuse.”

Joseph bit his lip, clearly trying to rein in his mirth. “So you prefer to make women search the bush to find the snake?”

“My snake is no’ so small that the lasses must search for it.”


Finally in summary, in my opinion Pamela Clare is an author to envy. She seems to have stayed true to roots and not fallen trap to the recent blood bath the authors are getting involved in. This in itself makes Pamela one of the only authors I respect enough to continue reading her books. She takes pride in her work and her home life and family. A truly wonderful woman, mother and author.







1 comment:

southerngirl said...

I haven't read DEFIANT yet of course but I will have it as soon as it is released. I have read all of her other books though. I've read them all several times. I couldn't agree more with your last paragraph. Just the other day I was thinking about everything that's been happening in the romance novel world & I had the same though you did. I love that Pamela stays true to her roots & doesn't write something just b/c it's the "in" thing to write. I look forward to reading & re-reading everything she writes in the future. Her writing is second to none. She's in a class by herself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...