} -->

Saturday 15 September 2012

Eighty Days Yellow by Vina Jackson



 Caught in a frustrating relationship with a man who can’t accept her for who she is, passionate, flame-haired violinist Summer Zahova finds release in her music. She spends her afternoons playing for money in the London Underground, lost in the works of Vivaldi or Mendelssohn. When her violin is damaged beyond repair, Summer receives a surprising proposition from Dominik, a university professor with powerful desires, who has been captivated by Summer ever since he heard her perform. Dominik will replace her priceless violin, but only if she agrees to play for him in a private concert. Unable to deny the chemistry between them, Dominik and Summer embark on an intense affair full of daring twists and turns, as unpredictable as it is thrilling. For Summer it is a chance to finally embrace her long-denied dark side, but she’ll soon learn that where there’s pleasure there must be pain. Can a relationship born of such all-consuming passion ever really survive? Exhilarating, seductive, and tantalizingly bold, Eighty Days Yellow will leave you breathless for more.



 Thessa's Review:



 3.75-4 Stars

These were the moments he lived for. The quiet before the storm. The ritual of unveiling. Knowing the point of no return had been reached, breached, and the fuck was now inevitable.

The above line from the book has got to be one of the <u>most</u> sexiest quotes ever. I don’t know what it is about it, but to me it held a certain type of promise. It describes the rawness, the carnality and the anticipation of what’s coming. The images that start to form in my mind are disturbing, yet breathtaking. I’m left speechless.

I honestly don’t know what to say about this story. I don’t know where to begin. As one of my GR friends stated, “this book should be in its own category.” I, one hundred percent, wholeheartedly agree with her. This is not for everyone!! First off, I’m not really sure if Fifty fans will automatically love, or even like, this book. Aside from the obvious kink and the title having a number & a color (lol), there are no real other similarities.

This book is dark, yes, but it also had its own certain feel. I can’t really describe it. It’s difficult to put into words. I felt like a voyeur, if I can be honest. It was like watching Eyes Wide Shut, but without Tom and Nicole. It was just an overall strange, tantalizing story that I couldn’t help but be intrigued by it. Does that make any sense?

“Dear Summer Zahova,
I was most sorry to hear of your ordeal. I am a great admirer of your musicianship, and to ensure you are able to continue your practice, I am willing to gift you with a new violin.
Are you willing to accept my challenge and my terms?” ~ D


So it begins. Summer’s journey into the abyss, as I like to think of it. There was always something peculiar about Summer. She’s a brilliant violinist, but there’s a darker, kinkier side of her. It comes out occasionally, but once she meets Dominik, she slowly starts to spiral out of control. With each and every game they play, little by little, she starts to question, “what is happening to me?”

Dominik was instantly taken in by Summer. After hearing her play her violin in the Tube, he will do anything to find out more about her. He reads about the incident regarding her violin, locates her on Facebook and sends the message. Dominik’s character was at times, cold, but you could easily gather that there is more to him. Once they meet and agree to his terms, Summer couldn’t help but be captivated by him. He constantly pushes her limits, testing her. He starts to think about her relentlessly, but makes it clear that they are not in a relationship. They remain unattached, but how far is too far? How much longer can they deny there is more between them?

There are a lot of things that go on in this story that might make readers uncomfortable. There is a constant flow of mind games and not just between Summer and Dominik, but with their “friends” and “colleagues.” There is also the explicit nature of the story. Master/slave, BDSM, voyeurism, humiliation, ménage, including F/M/F, as well as sex involving multiple partners; the list of situations knew no bounds in this story. There are hardcore things that occur, so be aware before diving in. Also, be patient. The pace really didn’t pick up until 48-50% in. After that, things really started to heat up. Nevertheless, I must reiterate that this is NOT for everyone. However for those willing to give it a chance, come with an open mind. I know it more than intrigued me and I’m highly looking forward to the next two installments.

Many thanks to Open Road Media for providing me with this ARC.



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...