} -->

Thursday 27 September 2012

Slammed (#1) By Colleen Hoover

Slammed (Slammed, #1)Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart.


Thessa's Review:

Five big, enormous, gargantuan, gigantic, huge, mammoth, massive Stars!

I got schooled this year
by
a
Boy.

a boy that I'm seriously,
deeply, madly, incredibly,
and undeniably
in love
with.
And he taught me the most
important thing of all...
To put the emphasis
On life.


This book was pure brilliance. Shortly after the death of her father, Layken, her mother, & younger brother, Ky, moved from Texas to Michigan to start a new life. There she meets her neighbor, Will. Will is no stranger to love & loss. He lost his parents when he was only 19 years old and now is caring for his little brother, Caulder. Will & Layken almost immediately are drawn to one another. Their first date involved attending Club N9NE, which on Thursdays close for slam poetry. They have the perfect first date. However, just when Layken & Will were forming a relationship...slam! A serious roadblock emerges and the two cannot move forward in their relationship. Both struggle immensely with keeping their feelings in check, but they cope with it the best they can for the sake of both their little brothers, who are now BFFs. Just as Layken was starting to pick up the pieces...slam! Layken is hit with some devastating news about her mother. She just cannot catch a break.

I simply loved Will & Layken's relationship. They are so similar in so many ways, that you were hoping and praying that they were going to find a way to be together. The use of slam poetry in this book was utter genius. I've never read anything like it before and I effin LOVED it. Some of the pieces written, like the one above, stirred so many emotions in me. I was blown away. Wow.

I feel extremely fortunate to have come across this gem. After reading a strong recommendation from a book blogger, I was compelled to read this immediately. Thank God I did. Excellent, excellent, excellent. Highly recommend :)






Holly's Review:

Word of warning, do not read this book if you even think you might have the PMS - you will cry reading this book on a good day but if your like me and might even feel a tab hormonal you will be sobbing like a woman possessed! :)

In all seriousness, this book was amazing! This is a story of love, strength and over coming the odds! These have to be two of the strongest, most amazing people I have ever met. Will and Lake both survive tragedies and obstacles that should destroy them. This is the kind of book that really makes you want to be a better person.

I almost didn't pick this one up but I am so glad that I did, I honestly read this one and the sequel in less than 24 hours! Yep, they are that good! I am also a sucker for books that take place in my state, it's like I feel like I know all about the places in the book and the majority this one takes place in Ypsilanti and Detroit!

I also have to mention the poetry because I am not a huge poetry fan but this book really made me love it, slam poetry at least! I would totally frequent a slam poetry club if there was one near me, it was amazing! I think every time someone in this book slammed I was in tears.

I don't want you all to think that this book was just a total downer and sob fest, because that is not an accurate description at all. I cried, but not always because I was sad but in fact I cried a lot of happy tears too. Sometimes I even found myself snorting like a dork when I was sobbing so hard the words blurred and then I read something hysterical!! hahaha

Do yourself a favor, grab this book, and the sequel too! I guarantee if you do you will be glad that you did!









 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...