} -->

Monday 24 December 2012

The Coincidence of Callie & Kayden (#1) by Jessica Sorensen

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, #1)

There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

(New Adult Contemporary)*Mature Content** Recommended for ages 17+ due to sexual situations and language.


Thessa's Review

4.5-4.75 Stars

In the existence of our lives, there is a single coincidence that brings us together and for a moment, our hearts beat as one. 

I was so looking forward to reading this book. The book I was reading prior to this tore me up and when I was looking for my next read, I wanted something I could swoon over and make me feel all ooey-gooey. Does that make sense? lol. When I saw that this had come out, I was all over it thinking, “yes! this is exactly what I was looking for!” **Fist pump!** I mean look at all the potential this book just oozed: The cover is gorgeous. The storyline sounded like something right up my alley; it’s rated as Mature YA, which I just love. So when I picked this up, I was not disappointed whatsoever. I was absolutely absorbed in Callie and Kayden’s story. I could not put this down. 

There is something about someone trusting you enough with their secrets that makes it easier to trust them. It’s like they’re opening their heart and in return yours should open up to them, too. 

Callie and Kayden. Where do I begin to describe this story? Both characters are severely traumatized. Callie projected her hurt outwardly with her shyness, her chopped hair, dark baggy clothes and dark eyeliner. She was considered a freak in high school. She wasn’t always like this, but what happened to her when she was only twelve, dramatically changed her. She was never the same. 

From the outside, Kayden’s life seemed perfect. He’s handsome, star football player and was very popular. But what others didn’t see was that he came from a very abusive household. No one knew that his father was beating him and his brothers. Because he and brothers were encouraged to play sports, the bruises and broken bones were easy to hide. To cope, Kayden has a tendency to self inflict pain; he has the cuts and scars to prove the hurt. On the night of his graduation party, Kayden was on the receiving end of his father’s anger. What he didn’t expect was for someone to intervene the beating. 

“That’s you, Callie, you’re the only person that’s ever made me feel happy about anything. That night you saved me, you changed something in me – you made me want to live.” 

Ever since the night Callie intervened, Kayden wanted to thank her and ask her a million questions. He never had the chance until he literally ran into her in college, although he didn’t recognize her at first. She changed. Callie and her BFF, Seth (who I ADORE by the way), have made a list of things to do in order to make their lives better. Outwardly, Callie is slowly changing; her hair, her clothes…she was trying to move on from her past. College was fresh start. However, inside she was still struggling to let people get close to her, even touching made her uncomfortable. Kayden wanted to get to know her. Why is she so skittish? Why did she save him that day? Why is he so drawn to her? 

I want nothing more than to be with her and protect her, like no one ever did for me. I want to make sure nothing bad happens to her. 

**Possible spoilers below**

**SIGH** So here I am, cruising through this beautiful story. I am loving Every. Single. Moment. these two share. I’m in pure utter bliss. Seriously. Then all of a sudden…BAM! The ending came and I was left with my heart thudding, and my mouth agape. Are. You. Fucking. Kidding. Me. With. This. Shit. Seriously. What the fuck just happened!?!? **Bangs head on wall** I kinda knew this was coming, but I was hoping my intuition was wrong. Nope. I was right all along. Fuck. My. Life. All I have to say is that cliffhangers suck major ass. Well there’s no denying I really liked this story, just hated the abrupt ending. Luckily for me, there is a sequel and it’s due out at the end of February. Thank GOD! Now I can breathe a little better.

4 of 5 stars false



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...